Tom Kha Gai - Coconut Chicken Soup
Tom Kha Gai is the very famous Thai coconut chicken soup. It is absolutely delicious, full of flavor and nourishing. I was lucky enough to find fresh lemongrass in a local store, along with dried Kaffir lime leaves. It is a very rare sight to find such items locally, and unfortunately, there isn't an Asian food store anywhere nearby that I could just walk into and explore. So even though I still haven't been able to find galangal to put it in this recipe, I decided to share this delicious soup as it is because everybody at home really liked it. I hope you do too!
100 gr carrots
100 gr shiitake mushrooms
140 gr chicken
1 spring onion
2 cloves ginger
2 cm fresh ginger
2-3 kaffir lime leaves
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 can coconut milk - 425 ml
1 tbsp tamari sauce
1/2 tsp sambal oelek
1 L water
lemon or lime
fresh parsley or cilantro
1 Pour 200 ml boiling water over one chicken bouillon cube and set aside.
2. Cut the chicken and lemongrass into smaller chunks. Finely chop the ginger, garlic and spring onion.
3. In a pot, heat a bit of oil or ghee, and add the sambal oelek (chili paste), ginger, garlic, spring onion, and lemon grass. Stir occasionally.
4. After a few minutes, add the chicken and let it brown on all sides. Then add the rest of the vegetables and tamari sauce.
5. Add the chicken stock and water. Let it simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Add the coconut milk and cook on low heat for a few more minutes.
7. Serve alone or with rice noodles. Sprinkle some fresh parsley or cilantro and add fresh lime juice. Bon appetit!