Roasted Butternut Squash and Quinoa Salad
With the arrival of fall, I have once again fallen in love with squash, pumpkin, sweet potatoes and all the wonderful warming earthy flavors. My body craves these ingredients and it fills me with pure joy to come back from the store or farmers market with all these wonderfully colorful vegetables.
Today, I am going to share a very easy recipe for a salad: it features roasted and seasoned butternut squash, quinoa, and pomegranate seeds. A simple dish but full of delicious fall flavors. If you find the addition of pomegranate seeds odd, don't worry, you'll see that they have a wonderful role in this dish. Every bite of pomegranate not only gives a boost of juiciness to the dish, but it also breaks the earthy and sweet flavors of quinoa and butternut squash with its slight tanginess.
So let's get started with this easy dish, which you can make as a side dish or eat it on its own as a light and nutrient rich lunch!
1 smaller butternut squash
1 cup quinoa
1 teaspoon brown sugar
salt, pepper, sage
1. Cut the butternut squash in half, and scoop out the seeds. Lightly oil it, and season with salt and one teaspoon of brown sugar. Also, add a few leaves of sage (I used dried sage leafs and crushed them into smaller pieces with my fingers).
2. Bake the seasoned butternut squash for around 30 minutes, until it is tender, at 180 degrees Celsius.
3. Wash the quinoa thoroughly, and cook it in lightly salted water for around 20 minutes, making sure it doesn't overcook and become mushy.
4. Once the butternut squash has baked through, let it cool slightly and then remove the skin. Cut the squash into small cubes.
5. Place the cubed squash in a bigger bowl, add the drained quinoa, and pomegranate seeds. Season with salt, peper, and extra virgin olive oil and mix well. Your salad is ready! Bon Appetit!