Purple Sweet Potato Mohnnudeln
An amazing Austrian recipe gets a new sister version - gluten free and made with purple sweet potato!
The first time I tried Mohnnudeln was while visiting my friend Ester during her exchange year in Austria and I immediately fell in love. The recipe is super easy to make and makes quite a big batch which is great because you can make the batch and have dessert for that day and also a nice amount of Mohnnudeln to freeze for later. Its a win-win situation!
450 gr peeled purple sweet potato
pinch of salt
30 gr butter
150 gr gluten free flour
100 gr butter
100 gr poppy seeds
50 gr sugar
1 vanilla sugar packet
1 Peel the purple sweet potato and chop into smaller pieces. Steam them instead of cooking to retain the vibrant color.
2. Use a potato ricer to mash the potatoes on your work surface. Add one egg, a pinch of salt and 30 grams of butter and the gluten free flour. Form a compact dough.
3. Roll out little gnocchi from the dough. Decide the amount of gnocchi you want to eat now (you can freeze the rest for later).
4. Cook the gnocchi in boiling salted water for 5-8 minutes.
5. In a pan, add the butter, sugar and vanilla sugar or essence and poppy seeds. Add the gnocchi and toss them around for a few minutes.
6. Serve immediately, with a bit of powdered sugar on top.