Pasta with Beetroot and Pumpkin Seed Pesto
Are you a fan of beets? I've always loved them and enjoyed eating them in many different ways: cooked, raw, baked, even as a main ingredient in a cake!
Today I am bringing you a great recipe: a wonderful bright pesto that is full of good-for-you ingredients. The beets give this pesto an amazing pink color, and the toasted pumpkin seeds add a nutty flavor even though this pesto is nut-free.
You can combine the pesto with regular gluten free pasta, or if you want a low-carb meal you can substitute the regular grain pasta with zucchini noodles. The easiest way to make zucchini noodles is to use a spiralizer, a little machine that does the job for you. If you don't have access to one, you can make your own noodles by simply slicing the zucchini into relatively thin slices, and then cutting them again to make a shape of a noodle.
40 gr pumpkin seeds
185 gr beets
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp lemon juice
pasta or a large zucchini
1 Cook the beets with the skin on. After they are cooked through, drain them and peel them.
2. Toast the pumpkin seeds on low heat, taking care not to burn them.
3. Cut the beets into smaller pieces and put them in a blender. Add the pumpkin seeds, garlic, olive oil and lemon juice.
4. Season with salt and blend until you get a pesto-like consistency.
5. If you're using regular pasta, cook it. If you're using zucchini noodles, make the noodles using a spiralizer.
6. If you're using regular pasta: in a pan on medium high heat add a tablespoon of olive oil and pesto, and then add the cooked and drained pasta. Serve immediately.
7. If you're using zucchini noodles: in a pan on medium high heat add a tablespoon of olive oil and the zucchini noodles. Cook them, while stirring occasionally for two to three minutes. Then add the pesto and coat the noodles completely. Serve immediately.