Greek Yogurt & Blueberry Protein Pancakes
Updated: Sep 10, 2019
What a delicious way to start a morning! These Greek Yogurt pancakes are packed with protein, full of good fats and have berries for that extra antioxidant boost. Their texture is so light and fluffy, they are not overly sweet, and are good eaten warm or even when they get a bit colder.
I used a mixture of three flours in this recipe, a gluten-free flour mix, almond flour and desiccated coconut (not finely ground coconut flour). Speaking of coconut flour: in Croatia, we call desiccated coconut 'flour', even though there is also a finely ground coconut flour version to be found, but mostly only in health stores. I use both of these 'flour' versions in my cooking, but since their textures and properties are different they are not interchangeable, so I will always specify what exactly I mean by saying coconut flour. Okay, moving on!
Since there is barely any sugar in the batter, I drizzled honey all over the cooked pancakes and this was plenty of sweetness for me. Just a thing to note if you are a fan of sweeter pancakes, you might want to add a little bit more sugar to the batter (just don't over do it if you plan to put honey on top as well).
Also, speaking of sugar - in Croatia it is very common to use these little 10 gram packets of vanilla flavored sugar when making sweets and baked goods. In my experience, we use vanilla sugar more often than vanilla extract, so if you see me mention (and you will see me mention it a lot) vanilla sugar, you can just substitute it for normal sugar and add a little bit of vanilla extract to the batter.
I think that just about covers all of the ingredient intricacies, so we can move on to the recipe!
1 pack vanilla sugar
pinch of salt
3 tablespoons Greek Yogurt
1 tablespoon gluten free flour mix
1 tablespoon almond flour
4 tablespoons desiccated coconut
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Handful of fresh blueberries
1. In a big bowl, mix the eggs, sugar and a pinch of salt. Add the Greek Yogurt and mix well.
2. Add the dry ingredients: gluten free flour mix, almond flour, desiccated coconut and baking powder. Combine it with the wet ingredients until a uniform batter forms.
3. Add a handful of blueberries to the batter, and fold gently.
4. Heat your pancake pan with a little bit of coconut oil. Scoop out your pancakes and cook them on each side for a couple of minutes, until they turn golden brown. Do this on a low to medium heat to prevent them from burning.
5. Once they are done, make a little pancake tower on your plate. Add the fresh strawberries and drizzle honey all over. Your pancakes are ready!