Gluten Free Savory Zucchini Bread with Pancetta, Scallions and Cheddar
Updated: Sep 7, 2019
This savory gluten free zucchini bread with Cheddar and pancetta has easily become one of my favorite recipes that I've developed. The taste is so rich, the warm bread melts in your mouth and the crust is crispy and waiting for you to bite into it and hear the glorious crunch. A delicious gluten free crunch - a success in my eyes.
I developed this recipe in the midst of zucchini season. Now, I love my zucchinis a lot, and when in season use them multiple times a week, mostly in quick vegetable stir fries. They are also amazing when grilled and drizzled with some good quality olive oil, as zoodles for a low carb meal option, and of course, in baked goods.
Last year, I made a sweet coconut zucchini bread (recipe yet to be reworked and uploaded!) and it was absolutely delicious. I could have gone down the sweet road again, but something in me was yearning for a rich, savory flavor profile that I knew I wouldn't be able to let go of once I started eating.
And that's how this bread recipe was born. Now let me tell you, it is loaded with flavor in every bite. All you need with this is a dollop of cold sour cream and you've got a meal. Honestly. I ate half a loaf of this deliciousness as soon as I took it out of the oven (and took a gazillion photos of it first). It was pretty hard containing myself from just biting into it as I was shooting it, but somehow I managed.
The flour mixture I used is very important for the flavor development of the bread. I used a certified gluten free oat flour which adds a slight nuttiness, a rustic corn flour, some cornstarch, baking powder and just enough garlic powder for a slight note of it without it being overpowering.
I really hope you try this savory zucchini recipe, as it is truly one of my all time favorites. I'd also love to see your creations of this bread, so if you make it, please take a photo and upload it with the hasthag #cuisineshobaine so I can see it and admire it and hope you had a great time eating it! :D
600 gr zucchini
60 gr scallions
100 gr Cheddar cheese, cubed
50 gr pancetta, cubed
80 gr gluten free oat flour
50 gr corn flour
20 gr cornstarch
5 gr baking powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper
1. Grate the zucchinis and salt them. Let the sit while you prepare the rest of the ingredients in the meantime. This will allow them to release excess water.
2. Chop the scallions into small pieces, and cube the cheese and pancetta. Aim for the cheese and pancetta to be in around 1 - 1.5 cm cubes.
3. Take the grated zucchini pieces in your hands and squeeze tightly to release excess water. Put the zucchini in a new clean bowl. Add three eggs, scallions, pancetta, cheese and add salt and pepper. Mix everything thoroughly.
4. Now it's time to add the dry ingredients: oat flour, corn flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and garlic powder. Mix well.
5. Transfer the mixture to a lined bread baking tray and bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 45 minutes.
6. The bread is best served warm with some sour cream. Bon Appetit!