Gluten-free Cauliflower Tortillas
Updated: Oct 1, 2019
Since switching to a gluten free diet, I have explored with various vegetables as the main stars of previously gluten-ruled meals. Pizza crusts made from cauliflower, and cauliflower rice have become some of my favorites. But in today’s recipe I will show you how to make another thing – cauliflower tortillas.
This recipe uses only three ingredients – cauliflower, tapioca flour and potato starch. Tapioca flour gives the tortilla a wonderful soft chewiness, and the potato starch helps bind it together and boosts the flavor too. When making this recipe, make sure to blend the cauliflower in a food processor long enough, so that it turns into a very fine meal. If the cauliflower chunks stay too big, it will make forming the dough very hard and you will not be able to form the tortillas (in that case you can totally use the dough up as some cauliflower gnocchi, which I fried on a pan and found them very delicious that way as well).
Once the tortillas are done, fill them up with your favorite toppings and you’re all set for a delicious meal. I hope you enjoy them!
400 grams cauliflower florets
2 tablespoons tapioca flour
2 tablespoons potato starch
1. Wash the cauliflower florets, and put them in a food processor. Run the food processor until the cauliflower turns into very small pieces, smaller than the size for cauliflower rice.
2. Squeeze the cauliflower meal between your hands (handful by handful) to remove the excess water and place it into a big bowl.
3. Add the tapioca flour and potato starch and mix until a dough forms.
4. Dust your work surface with more flour and take a piece of the dough. Using your hands, carefully form small tortillas. If the tortillas are sticking to your hands and are hard to form, dust some flour on the dough too, before you start flattening it out.
5. Heat a pancake pan and place the tortilla on it for at least one minute. After one side has turned golden brown, turn it and cook it on the other side. I shaped and cooked the tortillas one by one, and made them quite small so they are easier to work with.
6. Fill the tortilla with your favorite toppings and enjoy while still warm and wonderfully chewy.