Gluten Free Apple Fritters Done in 20 Minutes!
Updated: Sep 10, 2019
An easy and quick way to use up some apples: these gluten free apple fritters. There is no need to make a pie crust, or bake a strudel (your oven wants a summer vacation too!), because these fritters will satisfy your sweet apple-craving needs. Usually, the fritters we make in Croatian cuisine are very dough based and use the best that gluten has to offer - essentially, we make mini doughnuts and fry them in oil until they are golden and crispy. Some recipes call for some sour cream, some include apples, and almost all require a splash of rakija (very strong Balkan brandy).
However, this recipe is gluten free, and it will produce fritters that are more apple-y and less doughy, but still crispy! The flours used in this recipe include a gluten free flour mix (use your favorite brand or your homemade mix, or try substituting it with rice flour if you don't have any), some potato starch (can substitute with corn starch), and some flaxseed flour for some extra fiber. I am leaving the amount of sugar (or other sweetener you want to use) to you, since you might prefer apple fritters that are sweeter or maybe your apples are a bit sour and will require more sugar to be to your liking! Otherwise, all the other ingredients are measured out and ready for you to start making these yummy gluten free fritters, that can be done in 20 minutes!
270 gr grated apples (2 apples)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Sugar (add to taste)
10 gr flaxseed flour
25 gr gluten free flour mix
25 gr potato starch
5 gr baking powder
1. Peel and grate two apples. Add one egg, sugar or your sweetener of choice, and mix.
2. Add the dry ingredients: the gluten free flour mix, flaxseed flour, potato starch, baking powder and cinnamon. Mix well. You should now have a compact batter, and should be able to form little dough balls with your hands (handle gently because they will still be very sticky), or you can just scoop the dough out with a spoon and drop it (not from a height so you don't get hot oil splatters everywhere!) gently into the hot oil.
3. Heat the oil well and add the little apple fritter balls. Do not overcrowd them, leave enough room for each fritter to fry properly. Once they are golden on one side, flip them and let them fry through the other side.
4. Once the fritters are done, rest them on a paper kitchen towel to remove excess oil from them.
5. Before serving, dust them with powdered sugar (you can add a bit of cinnamon to your powdered sugar if you so wish) and eat them warm! They go really well with a glass of cold milk! Yum! Bon appetit!