Creamy Kabocha Squash Spaghetti (vegan)
*the photo of this pasta was taken at 9PM with my phone and will be replaced ASAP with a better looking one taken by my camera :)*
Gluten free pasta is a wonderful thing, especially when it is as creamy and decadent as the one in this recipe is. This is a perfect weeknight dinner, as it comes together in the amount of time that your pasta requires to cook. In my case, this was ten minutes. And then, absolute carbohydrate bliss.
The key ingredient in this recipe is the kabocha squash. I had some leftover kabocha squash in the fridge and turned it into a puree in a food processor. So, to truly make this recipe as quickly as I made it, you will need some leftover roasted kabocha squash, or puree. But don't worry, I will be sharing some other delicious recipes featuring this squash that you can make in the meantime, while trying to even end up with these leftovers.
The other key ingredient in this recipe are the sun-dried tomatoes. Now, I use a brand that I got in Italy, and it is beautifully seasoned and the tomatoes are preserved in oil. I mention this because it is exactly this oil that we will be using for cooking - it is already fragrant with different herbs they have put into it. The other tomato part of this recipe is the smooth tomato puree or passata di pomodoro. Since there are so few ingredients in this recipe, I recommend you use the best quality/tasting ones you can find or your favorites, to ensure the dish is as tasty as it can be!
½ cup kabocha squash puree (around 150 gr)
3 sun dried tomatoes (in oil)
150 mL tomato passata
Salt, pepper, oregano
Gluten free spaghetti
1. Take the gluten free spaghetti and put them in boiling, salted water to cook.
2. Take the sun-dried tomatoes and chop them into smaller pieces. Use the oil they were stored in and put that in the pan on medium heat. Add the tomato pieces.
3. Once the tomatoes start cooking and sizzling, add the kabocha squash puree and mix it in. Let it cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Finally, add the tomato puree (passata) and mix. Season with salt, pepper, and oregano and cook for a few more minutes until it thickens a bit.
5. Drain your spaghetti and add them into the pan with the sauce. Swirl them around, so the pasta gets coated evenly.
6. Serve immediately and top with fresh basil. Bon appetit!