Creamy Purple Sweet Potato Soup
This soup is filled with veggies and warming spices. To prepare this soup, I first sauteed the vegetables in homemade ghee and then let the veggies cook through. This soup doesn't contain any cream but it is very creamy once you blend it. It is slightly sweet given the sweet potatoes, carrots and parsnips, and the toasted pumpkin seeds give the dish a lovely nutty aroma while the parsley gives it a kick of freshness.
1 red onion
500 gr purple sweet potato
200 gr carrots
100 gr parsnips
150 gr leeks
salt, pepper, cinnamon, thyme, bay leaf, turmeric
1. Chop the red onion and leeks and sautee them with some ghee on low heat.
2. Add the chopped carrots and parsnips, and season with salt, pepper, a teaspoon of turmeric, half a cinnamon stick, a laurel leaf and a teaspoon of thyme. Mix well and let it sautee on low heat until you prepare the sweet potato. If the vegetables start sticking to the pan too much, you can add a bit more ghee.
3. Peel and cube the sweet potato. Add it to the pot and then add 1.2 liters of hot water. Let it simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Once all the vegetables have cooked through, use an immersion blender to blend the ingredients and get a creamy soup. Before blending, remove the cinnamon stick and bay leaf.
5. In a pan, toast some pumpkin seeds and salt them. Finely chop the parsley.
6. Serve the soup, sprinkle toasted pumpkin seeds and parsley on top. Bon appetit!