Chinese Inspired Braised Eggplant
A super delicious and easy side dish recipe, this eggplant dish is super aromatic thanks to a combination of warm and fragrant spices. I decided to add the radicchio to the eggplant to add another depth of flavor and texture to the dish. If you can get them, I highly recommend topping the dish with fresh broccoli and radish sprouts since they add a nice crunch and a tiny bit of heat that cuts through the warmth of the spices and creaminess of the braised eggplant.
250 gr eggplant
100 gr radicchio
50 gr spring onions
2 cm fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic
1/4 tsp cinnamon, anise, cumin, cloves
3 allspice berries, peppercorns
2 tbsp tamari sauce
1 tbsp black sesame
fresh broccoli and radish sprouts
1. Chop the eggplant and salt it. Leave aside while you prepare the rest of the vegetables.
2. Wash the radicchio and chop into smaller pieces. Cut the spring onions, and finely chop the ginger and garlic.
3. Mix your spices in a small bowl, if using allspice berries and peppercorns (instead of pre-ground spices) use a mortar and pestle to grind them.
4. Heat your pan with some oil on medium high heat. Add the spices and fry them for around 30 seconds while stirring, then add the ginger, spring onion and garlic. Make sure your garlic doesn't burn.
5. Add the eggplant to the pan and raise the heat. After the eggplant has fried a little bit and its skin started turning glossy, add the radicchio and the sesame seeds. Keep stirring the vegetables.
6. Once the vegetables have started sticking to the pan, add two tablespoons of tamari sauce and cook for a minute longer.
7. Serve immediately, and add some fresh broccoli and radish sprouts on top. Bon appetit!