Amaranth and Smoked Salmon Bowl
Updated: Feb 7
This recipe came to life one morning. On this particular morning, I was woken up with a hunger of a big black hole, or so it seemed. This prompted me to make a breakfast worthy of a lunch, and this is exactly when you can make this bowl: on a morning that allows you a little more preparation time (since the amaranth requires 20 minutes to cook), or for a light but filling lunch full of nutrients.
The ingredients in this bowl are designed to A) get rid of really bad hunger, B) leave you felling full for some time and C) be the envy of all those around you. Just kidding! ;) The recipe yields one really filling bowl, so scale it up accordingly!
1/2 cup amaranth
2 handfuls of salad greens
3 slices of smoked salmon
salt, sweet paprika
EVOO, vinegar or fresh lemon juice
1. Wash the amaranth and cook it in a pot with salted water in the ratio 1:2.5. While it is cooking, stir occasionally. If you notice that the amaranth has soaked in all the water and is threatening to become as dry as the Sahara, add a little bit more hot water and stir. Cook for around 20 minutes, but start checking it a few minutes before that mark so it doesn't overcook.
2. In the meantime, wash the salad greens and finely chop the parsley. Slice the avocado.
3. When the amaranth has cooked through, you can add more salt if necessary. Add the parsley and mix.
4. Season the salads with salt, olive oil and I recommend adding a bit of acidity with a vinegar of your choice or some fresh lemon or lime juice.
5. The last step is to poach an egg. Crack an egg into a small cup. In a pot heat up the water. Use a spoon to create a little whirlpool and gently slide the egg from the cup into the slowly spinning water.
6. While the egg is poaching, prepare the bowl for serving. Add the salad, avocado and amaranth. Add the smoked salmon slices. Once the egg is done poaching, serve it on top of the salad and season with salt. If you want, you can sprinkle some sweet paprika on top as well.
7. Serve immediately. Bon Appetit!