I've known about the culinary combination of strawberries and salmon for a long time, but I was always skeptical of it. I just didn't really believe it would work, but the other day I gave myself a pep talk and decided to just go for it. And boy, was I glad I did!
This combination might seem so weird at first, at least for Croatians. I believe we are used to fish being fish and any kind of deviation from the traditional seafood recipes we've grown up with might make us go...huh??
But believe me when I tell you, this dish will make you go...yum!! The combination of sweet strawberries, the depth of the red wine and the slight acidity of the vinegar compliment the creaminess of salmon so beautifully! With the added salad greens and sweet potato, you've got a lunch that is healthy, filling, and worthy of being a restaurant meal. And you can make it yourself at home in 30 minutes!
90 gr strawberries
1 tsp honey
1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
100 ml red wine
1 tsp thyme
1 large salmon filet (around 330 gr)
two smaller sweet potatoes
a few fresh strawberries for serving
1. Cut the salmon filet into two equal parts. Season them with salt, pepper and olive oil and set aside.
2. Wash your strawberries and discard the stems. Chop them into smaller pieces and put in a small pan. Add the honey, vinegar, wine and thyme and place on low heat. Stir occasionally.
3. Peel and chop the sweet potatoes. Place them on a baking tin lined with parchment paper, add some olive oil, salt and pepper and place into the oven at 180 degrees.
4. After the sweet potatoes have been baking for around 5 minutes (or a bit longer if you've cut them in thicker pieces), add the salmon filets and bake for an additional 12-15 minutes with the salmon skin facing up so it can get crispy.
5. Cook the strawberries until the contents reduce to a thick sauce. Use a fork to mash the cooked strawberries.
6. Serve by placing some fresh salad greens and a few fresh strawberries on a plate. Add the sweet potato, and then the baked salmon on top. Take the strawberry reduction and place it on top of the salmon. Serve immediately. Bon apetit!