Updated: Nov 29, 2021
For the past two weeks I've had an intense craving for lemon bars. So I went out and got a bunch of lemons. And they sat on the kitchen counter for a long time until I finally got the time to go and make a new lemony recipe! And I'm glad I did because I had a lovely little breakfast on this Sunday morning.
The bars are pretty straightforward - the base is a gluten free shortbread crust, and the filling is a lemony deliciousness with a slight tanginess to it. I baked the bars the night before and left them in the fridge overnight (after they had chilled to room temperature) and enjoyed them as a breakfast treat today.
To make them, I used a pre-mixed gluten free flour mix so you can use your favorite one to make these. You will see that the dough comes together easily and it will be slightly crumbly, as it should, but will hold its shape nicely once you pack it into the baking tin. I did so using my fingers and the back of a spoon until I got a nice and level base that I then baked before adding the filling.
120 gr butter
85 gr sugar
285 gr gluten free flour
230 ml lemon juice (around 4 lemons)
100 gr sugar
4 tbsp gluten free flour
Powdered sugar for serving
1. Cut the chilled butter into smaller cubes and place in a bowl. Add the sugar and flour and start mixing them with your hands until they are combined a bit. Then add an egg and mix until a firm dough forms.
2. Place the dough in plastic wrap and chill for 20 minutes in the fridge.
3. Like your baking tin with parchment paper and press the dough until its uniform in the baking tin. Bake for 20 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius.
4. In the meantime, juice four lemons. Add it to a bowl and then mix in the sugar.
5. Once the sugar has started dissolving a bit, add the eggs and flour and mix well.
6. Take the dough out of the oven and pour the filling over it. Return to the oven and continue baking for another 20-25 minutes.
7. Once the bars have cooled down, place them in the refrigerator.
8. Cut into bars and sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.