A super quick cake that you can make when you've got nothing sweet around the house and you really need a little something to sweeten your day. It is a gluten free and dairy free cake made with corn flour and sour cherries, and it goes so well with a warm cup of tea. You will notice that I haven't set an amount of sugar to be used in the recipe - this is because I've made it without any added sugar in the batter for myself. I found that the coconut milk and the sour cherry compote do have a certain note of sweetness to themselves, and after baking the cake and dusting it with powdered sugar it was enough sugar for me. However, you can add a few tablespoons (or more) of sugar to your eggs before you beat them and completely adjust the sweetness to your own taste.
250 gr coconut milk
220 gr corn flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
sugar (optional, adjust the amount to your taste)
sour cherry compote
powdered sugar (for serving)
1. In a bowl, beat the eggs with the sugar.
2. Add the coconut milk into the eggs and mix well.
3. Slowly add in the dry ingredients - the corn flour and baking powder.
4. Take a baking pan and oil it well before pouring in the batter.
5. Take the sour cherries from the jar and place them into the batter, either randomly or in a pattern that you choose.
6. Bake for 20 minutes at 180 degrees.
7. Before serving, let the cake cool down a bit and dust with powdered sugar.