Who doesn't like an easy sunny Sunday afternoon filled with good warm tea and a cake fresh out of the oven? This aromatic gluten free cake is a perfect recipe for an easy weekend bake and is full of warming fall flavors. The Earl Gray tea with notes of bergamot compliments the fullness of dark chocolate, and the light tart flavors of plums cooked with wine and cardamom. If you are not able to get access to plums to make this cake, you can use frozen (or fresh) berries (like raspberries, blackberries, and redcurrants) or you can instead use some fresh pears which will pair beautifully with cardamom and red wine.
20 gr sugar
Pinch of salt
70 gr dark chocolate
90 ml heavy cream
100 ml Earl Grey tea
100 gr gluten free flour mix
100 gr buckwheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
200 gr plums
¼ tsp cardamom
250 ml red wine
1. Make the tea and let it sit for 10 minutes.
2. In a bowl, mix the eggs, sugar and salt.
3. Heat up the heavy cream and pour over the dark chocolate that you've broken into smaller pieces and leave it to melt.
4.In the meantime, remove the pits from the plums and put them in a pan with wine and cardamom. Cook on low heat until the plums cook through and the wine turns into a reduction.
5. Take the melted chocolate and slowly mix it into the bowl with eggs, and then add the tea.
6. Add the dry ingredients: the gluten free flour mix, buckwheat flour, and the baking powder.
7. Take a bread baking pan, and line it with parchment paper. Pour the batter and place the cooked plums and wine reduction on top.
8. Bake for 20 minutes at 180 degrees.